Friday, July 6, 2007

Chapter 4, Verse 8: Who is Alias Tanoue?

Space Travelers, the answers is without a doubt I. Yes, I am Alias Tanoue, pronounced (taw-no-way). What do I mean by this? Well in a recent discussion with my grandfather about our lineage, I learned that the foriegn consolate effed up my great grandfather's name upon entry into the states. How you ask? Well, if you are familiar with your own lineage, you might also know that this kind of thing is not that uncommon for immigrants. In the case of my great grandfather, he only knew his surname as two characters.

The first meaning field, more specifically a rice field or cultivated field. It's most common pronunciation being "ta"

image coming soon

The second character meaning up, above, or top. This character is most commonly pronounced "ue" or "kami."

image coming soon

The basic meaning of my name is "top of the rice field" both Tanoue and Tagami are pronunciations of the combination of the above characters.

At first I was kind of angry and then as I watched my grandfather's response I saw that it didn't bother him at all; that it was the pronunciation and not the meaning that had been lost. More importantly and returning to the question at hand Space Travelers, "Who is Alias Tanoue?"

Leave your answer as to who is Alias Tanoue in a bumper sticker below!

0 Bumper Stickers:

 

Copyright 2007 ID Media Inc, All Right Reserved. Crafted by Nurudin Jauhari