Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Chapter 4, Verse 7: Libertarians & Lesbians

Hi Space Travelers, As promised, I shall update you with some news of my travels. My cousin Christa, you remember her right? She took me out last weekend and we partied with her friends.

Night 1:
A birthday get together for Christa's friend (whom I shall rename) Turquoise. But before meeting that group, I went with Christa and another friend (whom I shall rename) Velcro to go eat Afgan food. The resturant was named "Kyber Pass" and was very interesting. I learned that evening that all afgan food has yogurt in it. Say what?
Anyways, after eating we met up with a couple (whom I have renamed) Bananas and Pajamas. Bananas is a doctor. The same docter in fact that got me my much needed drugs to cure my insanity inspiring pain earlier this trip. Bananas' boyfriend Pajamas, a local real estate agent and land lord, was perhaps the most interesting conversationalists that evening. As a stark contrast, Turquious' new boymate (whom I shall rename) Panda was not the talkitive type. This of course may be because Pajamas really just wanted to talk politics all night. Panda said he works for a "think tank" in Washington DC and that lead me to believe his silence was because he may be ultra conservative and Pajamas' radical libertarian thinking. After Panda left, I was left to discuss politics alone with Pajamas, and that's when I learned the difference between us. While both Pajamas and I agreed on most social issues and politics, we simply have different ways we express our ideas for solutions to the problems.
My way: Solutions through common ground and comprimise.
Pajamas way: Solutions through radical change and totally badass politics.

While Pajamas means were unclear, I could tell his heart was in the right place.
Night 2:
On our second evening out, Christa took me to a party at a fancy wine bar called Crush in the Hilcrest area. Crush was filled with lovely mirrors and nothing but blue light. I felt as if I were emersed in a upper crust K-mart resturant. At closer inspection of the decorations, I realized along with Bananas and Pajamas that the napkins holders along with the wine coves were made of simple PVC pipe. Weak sauce. Tonight we were celebrating Bebop's (renamed) completion of her residency, and new status as a MD. Bebop's girlfriend Rocksteady (renamed) was also in attendance.

As a side note, I should mention that the Hilcrest area is a very large gay community in San Diego. In fact it is home to the "Brass Rail," which was the first publicaly gay dance club. The Gay origins of Hilcrest outdate that of even the more famous Castro district in San Fransisco.
On the cocktail menu was the "Hillcrest Iced Tea," being the fan that I am of the Long Island Iced Tea, I had to order it. Allow me to boast for a moment. The HIT is the gayest drink ever. It was delicious. It made the cosmo look like the highschool quaterback in comparison. It was just about the queeniest drink ever, and I loved it. However after that, I returned to the normal regiment of Gin & Tonics.

We left Crush and went to a Gay club in the area: "Mo's." And only now as I type this entry do I find the subtle pun in the title. It was country night at Mo's and there were shirtless cowboys everywhere. What I found ver interesting about Mo's was actually the large hetrosexual presence there. Other than that, I was left wondering what made me feel less in shape: the beach or the gay bar? Bebop and Rocksteady had me purchase all the drinks during the evening because the bartenders mix drinks stronger for young handsome men such as your's truly. Needless to say the drinks were crunkest all night.
As I stood there hypnotized by the linedancing homosexuals, a thought entered my head. Traditionally, country music and country dances such as the two-step where only popularized and endorsed by the more rural and for that matter more hetrosexual cowfolk types. Wouldn't it just be hilarious if the LGBT community hijacked country music and linedancing? Wouldn't it be funny to see all the homophobic cowboys go to a country bar and wander in uncertainty on the dance floor? It worked for disco, It may work for country too.
Well Space Travellers, it's going to be a long day and I've got more stories for you comming soon. Stay tuned, and keep and eye on the side bar for changes as always.

0 Bumper Stickers:

 

Copyright 2007 ID Media Inc, All Right Reserved. Crafted by Nurudin Jauhari