Thursday, June 14, 2007

Chapter 3: Negitive Altitude, Radiators, and The Border Patrol

Being that I had many days of rough exercise, I choose to sleep in a little today before hitting the road. sleeping in was no problem as Chapter 4 is one for the shortest in my entire trip. I only had a 370 mile drive today. Starting in Phoenix, at an altitude of about 1000 ft I proceeded south down a barren stretch known as HWY 85. Along the drive I saw a prison in the middle of the dessert and was reminded of the movie "Cool Hand Luke."

Once I got to Yuma, I was below sea level and of all things to see on the sea floor I saw airplanes! I love airplanes. Said little creatures looked like they were tied to the ground. What a shame.
Very shortly after Yuma, I enter a small mountain range. The mountains were really cool, but I knew I'd see better before the day was up.
After the small mountain range, I entered and large area of sand dunes. The photo above shows the tire tracks of local off road vehicles as they climbed the dunes. I could tell JFK wanted to stop, but I knew that getting to San Diego was top priority. that and I told my Pops I wouldn't go off-roading.

The dunes soon faded and I entered the lower mountains in California. Going from what was below sea level earlier in the day, to now what was above 4000ft. And as a special surprise, guess what? Earth propellers! Keep the world spinning California!

The mountains weren't all fun though. The bummer police A.K.A. the border patrol had a checkpoint set up. I had to answer a bunch of questions.

BP: Are you traveling alone?

Chi: Yes.

BP: Who owns all the stuff in the back [of the car]?"

Chi: I do.

BP: You sure?

Chi: Yes.

BP: You have any cocaine or marijuana in there?

Chi: Nope.

BP: You sure?

Chi: Positive.

BP: Where you headed? Are you from in state?

Chi: San Diego, to see family. I'm from Missouri.

BP: Are you a citizen of the USA?

Chi: Blue blooded american sir.

BP: Welcome to California.

Phew... Good thing he didn't ask me if I was traveling with any Afghan black tar heroin. I'd sure be in a pinch. Just as a side note, I wasn't asked to provide any documentation either. May I also bring to your attention, I drive a station wagon. In the back I chose to cover up my belongings with a black blanket. I look pretty suspect, yet no fifth degree? I kinda wish I had picked of an illegal just for sport. I guess I'll save it for the next road trip. Or I can smuggle a Canadian over the border when I'm in Washington.

Take that system! Remember the name! I am Chi, space traveler to the internet bored, and nerd alike. I am the trouble maker on the interstate. I'm so cool I stop at green lights and I'm not sorry!

Well, all shenanigans aside, I made it to my aunt's in San Diego, and I'm enjoying the luxuries of the SoCal life, see above picture of back yard and canyon cabin. My aunt and uncle have the most amazing home. I'll post more photos soon. I have glass of wine with my name on it, goodnight space travelers.

4 Bumper Stickers:

Brien said...

How's your earhole?

Anonymous said...

Well, sometimes I get random shots of pain in it, but I think it's healing. I can hear okay out of it, but getting water out of it is a challenge after a shower. also inthe morning, I clean a bunch of crud out of it, real nasty stuff.

So my earhole is peachy!

Anonymous said...

You made it to the coast! As Bristow would say: CoNgRaDuLaRiOnS! I'm pretty sure toggling the upper and lower case captures his stupid accent entirely. What I wouldn't give to be sitting down to a glass of wine in southern California right now... it's okay, several mid priced beers in the center of Pennsylvania will be just as good in the end.

I'm enjoying the trip thus far. Are you going to Sea World? Or the zoo? San Diego seems big on animals, that's pretty much all I know about whale vagina town.

Anonymous said...

Good thing the BP didn't pick up on your ever so slightly slanty asian eyes. Who knows where you'd be by now.

 

Copyright 2007 ID Media Inc, All Right Reserved. Crafted by Nurudin Jauhari