Saturday, June 16, 2007

Chapter 4, Verse 1: Bloodlines

Yesterday I went to see my grandfather in his residence. He currently is staying at the Villa la Mesa, a small home for about 20 residents. It's a nice place and they even have a cat running around. The cat's name is Felix.
Yes, my Grandpa has a black eye. This is because my aunt threw a ball at him. No it didn't hit his face, but in some spectacular display my Grandfather jumped out of his Wheel chair and tried to catch the ball. This ultimately resulted in him falling down.
When we arrived at the home, Qui Qui was there. Qui Qui is my older brother; a body piercer in Springfield, MO. As you can tell by his look, Qui Qui is thrilled to have his photo taken.
Meet Irene, see lives in suite 11. My Grandfather lives in suite 12. She is a sweet woman, and she told my mother that she would be his friend. It was very kind of her.

Above is picture of my Grandfather's dresser. On the left there is a photo of my grandparents wedding, and on the right, a picture from their 65th anniversary. This summer would have been their 70th together, but after a long few months after injury, my grandmother passed recently.

It may be of importance to some space travelers to know a little more about my family. I as many of you know am half Japanese. I may have also told you I am half Scot, which in recent history, I learned is not completely accurate. With My grandmother's passing, many details about my family have arose.

The first that I find most interesting is that I have had family on this continent since circa 1630. apparently I have a bloodline to the Bakers, and early colonial family that helped establish the Massachusetts Colony, and build it's fort. Apparently my grandmother never threw anything away and one of the items in her possession was letters from and old relative trying to investigate if our family had inherited land. The letters were some 50 years old, and the end result was that, no, we did not. The investigation did however discover the said connection to the Bakers.

The next interesting thing is that many of the artifacts suggested that perhaps three of the four original immigrants on my mother's side were indentured servants. I learned that I have a lot of British blood, as well as French too.

I did not know my Grandmother well. I have lived in Missouri my entire life and for the time we had together it may not have equaled an entire year over the 24 years we shared on this planet. It is hard to learn so much about a person after death, because you can never ask questions. What I do know is this, had we known each other better, I think we would have both shared a great passion for family history.

This photo is from my grandmother's High school graduation, circa 1935. She was very beautiful.

Madeline Kerr, 1918 - 2007

1 Bumper Stickers:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a really fascinating story dude. I didn't even know the grandparents on my mother's side, and my grandfather died when I was in middle school. I never knew any of them exceedingly well. More and more these days, I wonder if they'd be proud of me. Anyways, cool blog, I think I may become one of your "Space Travelers"

 

Copyright 2007 ID Media Inc, All Right Reserved. Crafted by Nurudin Jauhari