Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Healthy Thoughts


Oi, Space Travelers. I'm landed ans settled back in DC. I can type up more freely what I saw now that I'm not typing on my phone.

My flight left St. Louis at 8:45. I figured, I'd go early so I could make it through check in and security then find some place I could hear the speech. I figured there would be at least one place I could see the [joint session of Congress] speech [on health care reform]. Pleasantly to my surprise, every TV was on the speech and I found a gate which had no flights in or out and sat there (if for only less pedestrian traffic and noise).

I had my head fixed upward at the screen for most of the speech, but I had looked down on occasion to post on my Facebook wall my thoughts in real time.
I can't remember the point of the speech I became aware of it, but the empty gate which I was sitting at had become full like a theater, and many people were now sitting fixed on the screen. Quiet. I looked in the terminal, and their were people just stopped, with their luggage, in no particular hurry to get home, or not wishing to miss this speech. I saw many anxious children ready to get home tugging on their parents arms. I saw people crying. I saw a few couples smiling, and a I received a few smiles directed at me when I not so silently cheered when Obama specifically spoke about the public option.

After the speech, the people began to move again, and I made my way to my own terminal. I got to my terminal as the republican response was aired. The people at the terminal watched, but I didn't see anybody stopping to listen.


I took in more of the speech, and was enthusiastically happy to hear three major things.


1) It will be illegal to deny coverage based on pre-existing conditions

2) Coverage will include preventative care measures
3) There must be a public option.


I was fond of other details, but these are what I find most important to me. Good work Obama. We needed you to be tough. I'd have liked you to have spoken earlier, but this was truly a brilliant address.

Full Speech Transcript Here

Letter From Ted Kennedy

0 Bumper Stickers:

 

Copyright 2007 ID Media Inc, All Right Reserved. Crafted by Nurudin Jauhari