Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Reply

Dear Space Travelers,

I have been all over the blog world as of late. As many have seen, I'd added several suggested blogs to the sidebar. In my viral search of the blogosphere, I stumbled upon a very interesting blog.

The Raving Prophet

Don't be so quick to judge by it's title. If I can declare myself a hero, then somebody can declare themselves a prophet. Anyways, we all have a sense of humor right? A post addressing the claims that morality could not exist without a outside authority compelled me to reply.

The following is what I had to say...

Greetings,

I've stumbled upon your blog via a unnamed channel. I too am from the Midwest. I'm currently out here in the DC area, and I'm an active blogger.

I read this entry and I thought I'd contribute from the opposing world view.

I wonder sometimes if the Christian world view has made moral and ethic synonymous. Morals are a subjective measure, whereas ethics are an objective measure.

An individuals morals in my opinion (and personal experience) come from within. The short and sweet of it is that Christians too pick and choose which moral absolutes to abide by. As if to see what "fits."

You are correct about the dilemmas an individual will face if governing themselves. If left to our own whims, we would probably bend every rule we create from ourselves. This is where ethics come into play. Ethics are platform independent. They require justification, argument, and distinction. Our ethical codes are enforced and observed by others.

An individual may have morals that are not in agreement with each other. An individual may not have morals that are in agreement with another person or persons. This is why our actions are governed by (or should be IMO) by ethics and not morality.

Objective standards of an ethical code can be reached by a society whereas uniform moral code cannot ever truly be congruent.

Additionally, there is the notion of a social contract. Humans form rules based on functionality as well as beliefs.

Causing someone's death is only morally wrong when applied with context.

a) if it was intentional, be it impulsive or premeditated.
b) if it was an accident by negligence.

There are other ways to be the catalyst of a person's death. It is our ethic code (not our moral code) that takes the time to make such a distinction.

I'm sure you may disagree, but from my close hand experience with Christianity in my youth, the teachings on morals and ethics are blended in a way that could make them seem like the same thing.

I enjoyed reading your post, and I will certainly return. I plan to repost my reply on my site as well as directing my readers to your original post.

Please continue to post your thoughts. I do enjoy reading other's ideas on the world and people.

Respectfully,
~Chi

Remember friends, it's not just about finding people in this world who just agree with you. If our ideas are only good with those who won't challenge them, they mean nothing.

3 Bumper Stickers:

Chi said...

Reply to the reply...

Interesting.

I don't agree with you, but I won't fault you. You are expressing your views.

I don't see ethics and morals as being being able to exist independent of each other, just that they are separate entities.

Quite opposite, I feel that if ethics and morals had a hierarchy, morals would full under not above ethics. You said yourself that multiple moral codes can share common ethics. That would put Ethics in the parent role.

I do agree that morals are a personal foundation for how a person lives. A person, singular. Not people. Certainly, multiple people can invest in any particular pre-defined moral code (such as Christianity or any other religion), but "rightness" of how we interact is governed by a outside standard: Ethics.

The example I use is this: My morals may differ from yours. Neither you nor myself can claim the moral high-ground, beyond simple assertion. I can't hold you to my moral code anymore than you can hold me to yours.

You can however hold me to my code. I can hold you to yours. Our opposing world views remain in balance until you or I attempt to enforce our will upon each other.

While I'm sure you are resolved in your moral code, it's a dangerous notion to think that it is in anyway superior to another's based on the notion that it's based on the belief in a deity.

Your and my moral codes are only measurable by their internal logical/rational continuity.

As for your last point about people coming to religion (even if in short periods of time) if their life takes a tumble, the pendulum swings both ways. Their are people who leave religion because they feel it is inadequate in addressing their lives during the tumbles. Social stigma lets people think that leaving atheism is somehow noble while leaving religion is somehow anything but.

What is more important to note (in my opinion) is that when life strikes, we open up to new ideas. We try them out. Sometimes they fit, sometimes they don't.

I do not agree with the notion that the religious are somehow better equipped to weather life's storms. I've seen no such trend.

Respectfully,
~Chi

ThatOneRedhead said...

Off topic: You have a great blog, Chi. I'm looking forward to reading more, so keep it up.

Chi said...

Thanks Space Traveler!

 

Copyright 2007 ID Media Inc, All Right Reserved. Crafted by Nurudin Jauhari