Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Chapter 20, Verse 2: Public Service Announcement.

I was in my living room. The apartment was empty. I was just watching TV.

A public service announcement came on. All Asian and Pacific Islanders. All calling for me to register to vote, speak out, and get involved. Many people of mixed race such as myself often struggle to find their community. For me, I was raised in the Midwest and had no opportunities to see Asian leaders in my community, let alone simple things like role models.

This PSA meant a lot to me. Every face was determined and confident. I felt like somebody cared what I had to say with my vote. Asians will most likely never be a majority in the USA, but they deserve a voice. They deserve dignity. They deserve to be portrayed as all people should: dynamic and important.

I contacted the APIA national office here in DC and told them how I felt. They replied the same day telling me about ways I could get involved in my area. They also directed me to the video, so I could embed it here.



For more information Space Travelers, check out their website.

2 Bumper Stickers:

Tori said...

I do indeed have a blog. I generally don't tell anyone. In fact you are now the second person to know. Go you. And you can add me if you like. I'm pretty random with the things I share. I do check up on yours quite a bit though. I like to keep up with goat house too. I knew a lot of those guys.

I hope you're time in the real world starts to feel more settled and comfortable soon. Sounds like something that could be nice.

Tori said...

Random, but I made a typo and it bothers me. I just want you to know the error of my ways.

You're should be your. There. All better.

 

Copyright 2007 ID Media Inc, All Right Reserved. Crafted by Nurudin Jauhari