Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Chapter 19, Verse 1: From the Palace to the Church

Hello Space Travelers. I thought I'd tell you about the trip out here to DC. First, I should stop and admit that technically speaking I'm not in DC, but I'm in the greater DC metro area. Whatever, we all get our bread stolen by the same guy in the end.This picture of me looking like you did something wrong was taken as I crossed the MO-IL border. Things became very real at that exact moment. The notion that I was not on a trip this time; that I was leaving. As I crossed the river, I could see the arch off in the distance, and I began to wonder when I would again be back in Missouri.
I drove late into the night and stopped in a hotel just after passing through Indianapolis. The long days drive gave me a lot of time to think about what I was leaving behind. Behind me was family, friends, my favorite foods, and the easy comfort that comes with the familiar. However behind me was also the weight of my old habits and the baggage I was so desperately trying to give myself permission to let go of.

I woke the next day and got on the road promptly. I drove with determination to arrive in Virginia and claim my new home. As I entered the area, I feel directly into evening traffic and I was met with the reality that this was now something I would deal with. I began to laugh out loud in my car as I turned my music up and took in every little detail of the area. Perhaps the traffic was the perfect catalyst for me to slow down and welcome myself to the area.
When I got off the capital beltway and pulled into my little corner of the city, I saw the sign above. I was not aware that the artist from toothpaste for dinner also did math and reading tutoring. What an absolutely perfect way to enter my new place.

Welcome to Falls Church.

I had been driving a lot, and I had made good time too. I decided to record my stats for the future, just in case I found myself doing the drive again.
I parked my car, and got my keys from the front desk concierge. I decided to take a walk around the area. Below is a photo of the front of my building. It will be a lot cooler once the stores start moving in downstairs. Right now they are all vacant. My hope is for a mutha-fuckin-badass sandwich place.
Well Space Travelers, more to come in the future. I'm still getting into the swing of things here, but I'll make sure to keep you updated with details as they fill in. Remember to wait 30 minutes after you eat before swimming and don't forget your towel.

1 Bumper Stickers:

Patrick said...

You've indeed found me. It was an adventure to read just those few short lines of your trip from to to was...enlightening...I suppose that'd be the correct word. In any case, glad that you made it safe and that you've found me. Take care

 

Copyright 2007 ID Media Inc, All Right Reserved. Crafted by Nurudin Jauhari